Frequently Asked Questions
If your agency isn’t on the list, let them know you want TransLoc Rider!
Using OnDemand Through the Rider App
- Open up the Rider application and select your transit agency.
- Click the OnDemand icon to access your transit agency’s OnDemand services. Note that some transit agencies have not enabled OnDemand, therefore the OnDemand icon will not be visible in the Rider application.
- Create a free TransLoc account if you haven’t done so already (required if you want to submit a ride request through OnDemand). Do you have a university login? If so, sign in with your university login first before creating a new TransLoc account.
1. Select your transit agency in the TransLoc Rider application.
3. Choose your university under the text that states or sign in with your university login.
4. Use your university login to sign in.
5. After signing in with your university login, you will be prompted to a) sign up for a new TransLoc account and b) use your existing TransLoc credentials to sign in. Choose option a if you do not already have a TransLoc account. TransLoc accounts are completely FREE.
6. Signed in? Great. Now select an active service and submit a ride request!
OnDemand rides are scheduled from a web application accessed through the TransLoc Rider application, or by going directly to ondemand.transloc.com. When you’re viewing a transit system associated with OnDemand service, you’ll see this icon (at the top of your screen on Android devices).
When the icon is blue, OnDemand service is available and clicking the icon will allow you to schedule a ride. When the icon is gray, OnDemand service is unavailable or currently out of service. Clicking this icon will display information about the OnDemand service. If the icon does not appear, that means your school does not have OnDemand.
- After tapping the icon and signing in to your TransLoc account, click the Request a Ride button.
- Enter the address where you would like to be picked-up. There are multiple ways to input an address:
- Type the address into the search bar.
- Click the My Addresses drop-down and select the address from the list. If you do not have any saved addresses, you can add them to the system.
- Move the pin on the map by dragging the map on the screen. The green pin’s location is where you’ll be picked-up.
- Enter the address where you would like to be dropped-off.
- Select the number of passengers for the ride. If it’s just you, click Just Me.
It’s easy! Follow these steps:
- Sign in to the OnDemand system via the TransLoc Rider app or your computer by going to ondemand.transloc.com.
- On the left-hand menu, click My Addresses.
- Click the Create Address button.
- Enter the address for the location on a single line. For example:
- 4505 Emperor Blvd, Suite 120, Durham NC 27703
- Enter a name for the address. This should be a unique name you can use to identify the address.
- Click Save to confirm and save the address.
Once you’ve scheduled a ride, click View Ride and you will be taken to a live map showing your pickup and drop-off locations along with the vehicle itself. This page also displays your estimated pickup time.
We will also send a text message to the phone number you provided for your account (Note: you will not receive text messages if you did not provide a mobile phone number for your account). This message will be sent between 3-5 minutes prior to the vehicle arriving to your pickup location, giving you plenty of time to prepare and be waiting for the vehicle. A text message will also be sent to you when the driver arrives at your location to provide yet another reminder to go to the vehicle.
Canceling a ride is simple. To do so, follow these steps:
- Sign into the OnDemand system via TransLoc Rider or your computer.
- On the left-hand menu, tap or click My Rides.
- Tap or click the ride you would like to cancel.
Tap or click the Cancel Ride button at the bottom of the screen. Your ride is now canceled.
No. If you wish to change your ride or schedule a new one, you must cancel the one you currently have scheduled.
Of course, you do. All users have the ability to enable the Wheelchair Access Required option before confirming their trip. The OnDemand system will only dispatch wheelchair-enabled vehicles to users who enable the Wheelchair Access Required option.
TransLoc Rider with Uber Integration
For example, let’s say there’s a bus that will take you from home to work. Next to your office is a bus stop, but you don’t live close to transit. The Rider app will now allow you to plan your trip and see options that combine both Uber and fixed-route transit. Further, this combined option allows you to save both time (since Ubering eliminates the need to walk to your stop) and money (since fixed-route busses are a more economical option than driving yourself or Ubering the entire way).
- We are only partnering with select agencies during the pilot program (GoTriangle starting March 3 and MATA starting March 22). If your route includes results from other transit agencies, we may be unable to include an Uber leg as a first mile / last mile solution.
- The Rider app attempts to determine the most optimal option for your trip. Sometimes, this option includes a decent amount of walking. We’ll continue to improve our algorithms as we move forward to improve the options that are offered.